It is a sexual disorder that occurs as a result of the involuntary contraction of the muscles in the vaginal area. In this case, despite the woman’s desire to have intercourse, she cannot have intercourse against her will. This is not due to the narrowness of the vagina. There are two types of vaginismus:
- Primary vaginismus: The inability to have intercourse with contraction of the vaginal muscles during the first intercourse. The main reason for this may be the fear of first sexual contact. In this case, vaginal penetration is not successful.
- Secondary vaginismus: It occurs after a miscarriage or difficult childbirth in women who lead a normal sex life. In this case, vaginal penetration has been done before, but it cannot be repeated after the reasons we mentioned.
What are the causes of vaginismus?
- A common reason is that women are psychologically affected. Social judgments such as fear of the first night, honor and hymen unfortunately cause this situation.
- The woman may have been harassed, raped or coerced before. This reason also causes vaginismus psychologically.
- Structurally, the vagina is short or has a curtain inside.
- The hymen is firmer and thicker than usual.
How is vaginismus treated?
First, the structure of the vagina is examined. If the hymen is hard and thick, it can be interfered with. Then the causes of sexual reluctance and depression are examined with the help of a specialist psychiatrist. Physical methods are also used in the treatment of vaginismus. Vaginal dilators (dilators) and physical therapy exercises may be used.