It is a sexual dysfunction that occurs as a result of involuntary contraction of the muscles in the vaginal area. In this case, although the woman wants to have sexual intercourse, she cannot have intercourse against her will. This situation is not due to the narrow vagina. two kinds vaginismus is found:
- Primary Vaginismus: It is the inability to have sexual intercourse due to the contraction of the muscles inside the vagina during the first sexual intercourse. The main reason for this may be fear of first sexual intercourse. In this case, vaginal penetration is not successful.
- Secondary vaginismus: It occurs in women with a normal sexual life after miscarriage, abortion or difficult birth. In this case, vaginal penetration has been performed before, but it is not possible to repeat it after the reasons we have mentioned.
What are the causes of vaginismus?
- One of the common reasons is that it affects the woman psychologically. Unfortunately, social judgments such as fear of the first night, honor, and hymen cause this situation.
- The woman may have previously been subjected to situations such as harassment, rape or coercion into intercourse. This reason is psychologically vaginismus causes.
- Structurally, the vagina is short or has a curtain inside.
- Hymen being harder and thicker than normal.
How to Treat Vaginismus?
First, the structure of the vagina is examined. If the hymen is hard and thick, it can be intervened. Then, the causes of sexual reluctance and depression are examined with the help of an expert psychologist. vaginismus Physical methods are also used in the treatment. Vaginal dilators and physical therapy exercises may be applied.